I am a recent convert to the Church, having come in Easter 2006. I am a young Catholic who is intending to enter graduate school to study in theology. This blog mostly will not be of a theological nature, but occasionally will drift in that direction.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Pain

Last Tuesday I was sitting in Mass, looking at the crucifix and the following thought came to me: "Would I be willing to take others pain?" Would I be willing to simply trade my health and well-being for someone elses pain so that they would not have to suffer it? That is what Christ did and so that is what I ought to do, yet could I?

I came to the conclusion that I would like to, but if it actually came down to it, I don't know if I could do it.


Why are we afraid of pain? It seems like so much of our energy is spent avoiding pain, which in many ways is pointless. I'm not saying we should give up on painkillers, but pain will come, no matter how hard we try and avoid it. American popular culture is building the idea that pain must always be avoided, yet that is an impossibility that itself leads to greater pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home