I am a recent convert to the Church, having come in Easter 2006. I am a young Catholic who is intending to enter graduate school to study in theology. This blog mostly will not be of a theological nature, but occasionally will drift in that direction.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Sources

So I'm doing research on the Renaissance for a book I'm writing. The only problem is our school library has a total of three books about the Renaissance itself.

Believe me. I counted.

I started reading one of those books. I got about five pages in before getting bored and flipping to the front. It was part of a history series. As I read the list of other books, I decided I couldn't use it a source, given one fact. The book on the Catholic Church was written by Hans Küng. Somehow I didn't trust the accuracy of anyone who would ask a heretical, nigh excommunicated pseudo-theologian to write a work of history.

Which brings me to my actual point: there are people out there who read Hans Küng's work and believe it an accurate representation of the Church. Likewise, there are people who read A Woman Rides the Beast and find it accurate (Dave Hunt is one of the most virulent anti-Catholics still around. Of course, his sister converted to the Church, so that tells you something). How do we go about reinforcing the truth, particularly when our authors claim to be Catholic, and in some cases have received holy orders?

I really only have the question here, though if I develop a good answer I'll post it later. If you develop a good answer yourself, feel free to comment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home