I am a recent convert to the Church, having come in Easter 2006. I am a young Catholic who is intending to enter graduate school to study in theology. This blog mostly will not be of a theological nature, but occasionally will drift in that direction.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Consumerism

As promised, by reflections on American consumerism.

I recently got a job at a local department store and have spent way too many hours there (all of them working). It has given me an opportunity to see first hand how Americans use their money.

Two days ago while I was working checkout I watched the number of people who picked up either drinks or candies on their way into the lanes. Probably one out of ever five people purchased at least one or the other, yet none of them had the intent to buy it (about half the time the person backtracks in order to pick up the goods). Why are people so flippant with their money as to purchase way over-priced (twenty ounces for $1.19) drinks?

A recent article in the loval paper discussed the success of High-Definition TVs in America and it quoted a consumer anthropologist (apparently they do exist) who said that Americans define themselves by what they buy. This seems obvious in retrospect, but I had never considered it before. If you don't have the best clothing, jewelry, cars, TVS, cell phones, etc. then you are looked down upon. It is far worse in America to be poor than to be a prostitute.

As of this moment, I have no real response to this anti-poverty mentality other than to say we should try and do without. Can you really go for one day a week without purchasing anything? Do you have to get a full meal everytime you go to a restaurant? (It seems that the only Americans who are close to leaving in intentional poverty are the college students, and most of them are only doing it so they can get more money in the long run). I'll probably post more on this as it develops.



Glorious Saint Benedict, sublime model of virtue, pure vessel of God's grace! Behold me humbly kneeling at your feet. I implore you in your loving kindness to pray for me before the throne of God.
To you I have recourse in the dangers that daily surround me.
Shield me against my selfishness and my indifference to God and to my neighbor.
Inspire me to imitate you in all things.
May your blessing be with me always, so that I may see and serve Christ in others and work for His kingdom.

Graciously obtain for me from God those favors and graces which I need so much in the trials, miseries and afflictions of life.
Your heart was always full of love, compassion and mercy toward those who were afflicted or troubled in any way. You never dismissed without consolation and assistance anyone who had recourse to you.
I therefore invoke your powerful intercession, confident in the hope that you will hear my prayers and obtain for me the special grace and favor I earnestly implore.

By your holy example lead us to a poverty of spirit so that we may more fully come to the will of God in our lives.

Help me, great Saint Benedict, to live and die as a faithful child of God, to run in the sweetness of His loving will, and to attain the eternal happiness of heaven.
Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home